Friday 12 March 2021

My Vera Downend Fantasy...

As regular readers know, one of my absolute top-favourite Crossroads characters EVER is Vera Downend,  played by Zeph Gladstone.

Vera was the motel's hairdresser for much of the 1970s.

Vera was a confidante to many, and gave good advice, but was not so good at running her own life.

Well, many of us have a similar problem.

When Vera was at the motel, I was having a very unhappy, dog rough, 1970s childhood. I won't go into details, but sometimes, in my mind, I used to visit her on the boat, and talk over my problems with her.

And, occasionally, I still do.

Yep, give me a pressing problem or a crisis, and I sometimes still find myself clambering aboard the boat, where I find Vera and tell her what's up. I find her, usually, listening to a transistor radio. The 1980s and 1990s haven't happened, of course, and there are no mobile phones or computers or whatever.

My wife thinks it's very funny, as I usually 'visit Vera' when there is trouble in my life and I can't sleep.

'Why don't you confide in the other woman?' she laughs. 'That usually helps!'

And I do.

And usually, very soon, before I even get through telling Vera what's keeping me awake, I'm asleep.

It's amazing the impact soap characters can have on our lives...

Vera: 'Yes, luv, it is amazing. Do you fancy a cuppa and a chat about it? I was just going to put the kettle on.'

No comments: